Serving Southern Christchurch and Beyond
Swapping Skills, Connecting Communities
To foster relationship building, increasing connectedness among people, regenerating community and meeting real needs of our community members by shifting thinking beyond money based trading.
Addington TimeBank values individual skills; fostering sharing and support; learning both give and take; building trust and responsibility; building local sustainability and resilience.
"The mission of TimeBanks in general is to nurture and expand a movement that promotes equality and builds caring community economies through inclusive exchange of time and talent. TimeBanks aim to achieve wide ranging goals such as social justice, bridges between diverse communities, and local ecological sustainability.
● Assets: We are all assets. We all have something to give.
● Redefining Work Some work is beyond price. Work has to be redefined to value whatever it takes to raise healthy children, build strong families, revitalize neighborhoods, make democracy work, advance social justice, make the planet sustainable. That kind of work needs to be honored, recorded and rewarded.
● Reciprocity: Helping works better as a two way street. The question: “How can I help you?” needs to change so we ask: “How can we help each other build the world we both will live in?”
● Social Networks: We need each other. Networks are stronger than individuals. People helping each other reweave communities of support, strength & trust. Community is built upon sinking roots, building trust, creating networks. Special relationships are built on commitment.
● Respect Every human being: Respect underlies freedom of speech, freedom of religion, and everything we value. Respect supplies the heart and soul of democracy. When respect is denied to anyone, we all are injured. We must respect where people are in the moment, not where we hope they will be at some future point."
Taken from <http://timebanks.org/about>
Addington Timebank weaves networks among groups and individuals within our community.